Saturday, October 26, 2019

Covered in Love

Do you ever find yourself completely frustrated by people behind the desk of an insurance company, doctor's office, or the other end of the phone?  
Having recently moved, I found myself having to re-address situations quite frequently, even though I took great care in notifying all the entities needed to ensure a smooth move.



One particular incident with a doctor's office made me realize that perhaps God was giving me practice in communication. 
Apparently, someone from my insurance company did not put the correct information into my file, causing me to be uninsured. My long-awaited and much-needed doctor's appointment was going to be canceled if I didn't straighten it out quickly.
Fortunately, a lovely woman with much experience in dealing with these circumstances brought me into her office. With a warm smile and a calm voice, she asked me to have a seat while she spoke to the insurance company trying to get to the root of the problem. 
After nearly an hour of going back and forth on hold, we managed to get it resolved with a code that would allow me to have the visit paid for.

That hour we spent together gave us a chance to get to know each other a bit. We complemented each other, talked about faith and shared our frustration together. Her calm manner helped to de-escalate the situation.
Before leaving I thanked her and gave her a big hug. By the time I left the doctor's office, I felt like a different person than when I arrived. 

How often do you share genuine emotion with strangers you meet in the coarse of your day? I've come to understand that when I take the time to truly connect with people emotionally, dropping my translucent wall of protection, I feel good about them and myself when I leave. 

Do you think looking someone in the eyes while sincerely listening and caring about what they have to say would make a difference in how they feel when they leave us?

As I ponder my recent acquaintances it brings me to the thought of love. How can we truly express love to others in our daily encounters? 

1) Find something about them to sincerely compliment.

2) Look them in the eyes when you are conversing,
acknowledging them with a nod of understanding and agreement.

3) Use the voice you would use if you were speaking to Jesus when you talk.

4) Do a random act of kindness daily and don't tell anyone you did it

5) Listen when God speaks to your heart regarding others.

When I'm tuned in to the Lord I find myself in tune with others on a much deeper level. 
Quite often someone will enter my thoughts and I intuitively know I am supposed to reach out to that person. 
It may be with a letter or a card relating to something they're going through. It may be a phone call just to let them know I'm thinking of them.
There's the homeless person we see on our way to work every day. 
Buy them a doughnut and a cup of coffee some time. 
Look for opportunities to be emotionally available for others. You never know when someone needs an ear to listen.

The times we live in today make us want to stay in our inner circles and hide behind texting and social media. 
The problem is we lose sight of the importance to connect on a truly emotional level with people in the real world. 
I feel good when I leave someone who I truly connected with. Do you?
I'm coming to the realization that the more I seek the opportunities to genuinely connect with people, the happier I am. 
Do you think perhaps this is the kind of love for one another God intended for us to have?



Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 
Do everything in love. 1 Corinthians 16:14

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave a comment, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or sign up to receive more great post directly to your email and check out our website www.inspiringsouls.com.


Blessings,
Inspiring Souls




1 comment:

  1. Great story! Glad your insurance was straightedned out. Love this line:"When I'm tuned in to the Lord I find myself in tune with others on a much deeper level."

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Heeding The Call

Wow! How could this happen in our country? So many of us are asking ourselves this question. I don't blame the go...