Thursday, September 7, 2017

Hurricane Recovery

The Wind Blew and I Heard God

 A Personal Reflection of the Aftermath and Recovery of a Hurricane 



As I approached the property, I tried to absorb what my eyes fixated on. The roof of the carport laid crumbled on top of the two cars in the driveway, and they were parked in opposite directions than when we left. The force of the water had moved the parked car in front to the rear. The car that was originally in the rear was now facing me.  

My eyes caught a glimpse of the davits, that once held our proud fishing boat. It was a mass of twisted debris. The power of the water carried the washer and dryer that used to sit under the carport, into the double wide canal that bordered the back of our oceanfront mobile home. 

My mind drifted to happier days watching tranquil sunrises, fishing and swimming in the beautiful aqua blue waters, only to be dismissed by the reality of the destruction that now surrounded me. I found myself engulfed by a deep sadness and couldn’t fight the tears, as I took it all in.  

I could hear the familiar sound of the palms, softly swaying in the warm ocean breeze, as I trudged through the destruction, trying to find something I could salvage. I found drawers without dressers, broken dishes and furniture. Our clothing colored the landscape. The air was heavy with humidity and filled with the nauseating smell of rotting sea grass, mold and damp wood. 

The water had risen so high in the kitchen, there was a line halfway up the wall. Much to my astonishment, there were some areas of the home that appeared to be untouched. A shelf hanging on the wall in the room where my three-year-old daughter slept, still had her little shoes perfectly lined up as though nothing had ever happened. Yet, the adjacent wall was completely pulled down, from the weight of the attached carport. 

My jewelry box was gone, all my jewelry lost, with the exception of my wedding ring, watch and diamond studs I was wearing, the day we evacuated. 
As I walked through each room, I could clearly see, we would never be able to live here again. Hurricane George had just blown through our lives, leaving them unrecognizable and forever changed. 

Completely drained, I decided to take another walk around the property before retiring to the hotel we reserved. As I walked towards the canal I could see something catching the sun’s rays. I moved towards the swim ladder and bent down to get a closer look. 

To my amazement, intertwined with seaweed, wrapped against the swim ladder’s arm, was a gold chain necklace my husband had given me. It was rusted from the salt, but I knew it would come clean. I picked it up, held it to my chest and sobbed. Not too far from that spot, I found my AA medallion, It represented my sobriety and I believe, was God’s way of telling me to  
“Remember what’s most important”

Of all the things I could have found that day, nothing meant more to me than these. I knew I was going to get through this and my faith would sustain me.

Within days FEMA, the Red Cross and a multitude of insurance adjusters descended upon the keys. It took time but eventually, the water dried up in areas that flooded. The bulldozers came in to remove the mountains of debris discarded by the roadside. The buzz of chainsaws could be heard everywhere as residents began the daunting task of cleaning up. There were moments I felt overwhelmed during those first few weeks, I didn’t think I had the strength to get through it. 


I never asked God why this was happening to me. I just prayed for strength and trusted He had a reason beyond my understanding. I believed He was a loving God. He gave me signs to let me know He was with me during those difficult days. I’m so grateful I was able to recognize them. Finding my AA medallion and that gold chain made me look up and thank Him in the midst of the rubble.

He put people in my path to help me, the Red Cross, FEMA, and neighboring businesses. 
A church group showed up at my store one day just as I was about to give into the idea that I didn’t belong in the Keys and it was a mistake to have left New England. 
They prayed with me and encouraged me to stay and continue opening my store. I’ll never forget the words someone said,“If it was a good idea to open this store before the hurricane, then it’s still a good idea.” They were right. 

The newspaper was only printed twice a week, prolonging search options for a rental property. With so many damaged home’s, it was difficult to find available housing, to begin with. It was going on weeks and we were still living in a hotel.

The opening of my store was further delayed due to postponed merchandise shipments. 
I needed to do something. I was beginning to feel frustrated and helpless. 
I decided to have a sign made that would help people find housing in between the days the newspaper came out. 

I had my sign maker build a large white board that could be written on and easily erased. It hung on a wall in my store that was visible through the glass door. In the event I was not there I wanted people to still see it.

The information written on the board could easily be changed by wiping off the marker and rewriting. 
People who had a home repaired and available to rent could come into the store and put their information on the board.  People that needed a place to live could come in and check the board daily to see if something new was added that fit their needs. 
I updated it daily as homes were rented and others became available. 
I called the newspaper and radio stations to ask them to assist in getting the word out to needy people. I met with a Red Cross supervisor to inquire how I could become a volunteer and brought them on board in referring people to my store to find and advertise housing. 
I also contacted the Salvation Army and had a large container put in my store for new donations to be made. 
Within days my store had people coming in and out all day long, even though I wasn’t actually selling anything. 

I contacted the Board of Realtors and requested they ask their vacation homeowners to open their homes temporarily to people in need at a reduced rental rate. They had already considered it.
After all, these were the people who took care of them when they were on vacation in the keys. 
They were the waitstaff in restaurants, cashiers in grocery stores, landscapers and year round residents working in professions that made their vacations enjoyable. This was an opportunity for those homeowners to give back.





The hurricane took my home but changed me as a human being. I found strength in myself I never knew I had. I became a more compassionate person and learned the importance of people over material things.
My faith grew as I watched God give me back everything I lost, plus more. I met strangers that put their arms around me in my sorrow and have become dear friends to this day.

I've learned circumstances are temporary. Even when I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sure that someone has gone through it before me and came out the other side, often times better for it. 
I’m here to encourage you to keep walking. Put one foot in front of the other, don’t despair, don’t ask why, just keep walking, one step at a time, one day at a time. 



Thank God for what you have no matter how much or, how little it is, even if it’s only the sunrise. 



   

God does have a plan for everyone. We may not know what that plan is while we're in the struggle, but in His time, He will reveal it to us. Sometimes it's to get our attention and bring us closer to Him. 
Remain faithful and trust Him. He will provide for all our needs according to His will for us.  

For years I've heard my friends say "You're a Survivor." I like to think I've done more than just survive. I've grown spiritually with every challenging situation God has allowed in my life.

I'm not perfect when it comes to relying on Him, but I never stop trying. He gives me plenty of opportunities to practice and I grow closer to him with each one. 

Anytime I've gone through hurricanes, loss, and destruction in my life, these words always come to mind... 

"I can do all things through God who strengthens me." Phillipeans 3:13

Recover Rebuild & Rejoice

I wish you peace through the storms and pray God's mercy & blessing over us all! 
Inspiring Souls



1 comment:

  1. My heart goes out to all who have been affected by the recent hurricanes and earth quakes. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Heeding The Call

Wow! How could this happen in our country? So many of us are asking ourselves this question. I don't blame the go...